The Xilinx CPLD (complex programmable logic device) combines a complete programmable specific AND/OR array, as well as bank or macrocells. Also, this AND/OR array can be reprogrammed. It can also perform many logic functions. In addition, the macrocells can be referred to as functional blocks, which perform separated or combinatorial logic. Also, they have an additional feature of more flexibility for complement or true, coupled with different feedback paths.
Back then, CPLD made use of analog sense amplifiers to help in boosting their architecture’s performance. The performance boost doesn’t just come easy as it features extremely high requirements for the current.
CoolRunner CPLDs by Xilinx makes use of an all-digital innovative core to help achieve exactly the same performance levels at requirements for the ultra-low power. With this, designers will be able to make use of the same or similar CPLD architecture to handle both low-power and high performance designs.
Removing the analog sense amplifiers ensures that the architecture is scalable, which permits aggressive reduction in cost, and includes enhancement with every process generation.
Benefits of Xilinx CPLD
The CPLDs are known to perform different useful functions in the design of the systems as a result of their capabilities. Furthermore, being a leader in the programmable logic solutions, the Xilinx CPLD offers a complete solution to the CPLD needs of the designer.
Reprogrammable and advanced devices
- It ensures instant change to the design at no cost. You can do this many different times. Furthermore, there is a quick time for your product to get to the market.
- Also helps in building reconfigurable systems, upgrading the functions of the system, and fixing the ASIC bugs. In addition, it helps in simplifying the design, reduces the cost of development, and also saves time.
- Low power, high performance operation
- Advanced and better system features
- Different packaging
- Highest I/O for each macrocell circuits
Easy and simple to use
- The xilinx CPLD easily fits in the already present design flow. Asides from this, it simplifies the design, it reduces cost, and saves time.
- Its powerful, free tools provide easy-to-use, complete, software solution to aid the development of Xilinx CPLDs.
- The xilinx CPLD is reprogrammable. This helps in the fixing of system bugs.
- In addition it replaces the AAPs and TTL to reduce the components of the board as well as improve its reliability.
- Furthermore, it reduces the maintenance cost, system cost, and design cost.
It is Non volatile
- Another important benefit of the Xilinx CPLD is its non-volatile nature. The programming keeps the power down.
- Also, the functions of the CPLD are made available immediately the system is up and running
- Furthermore, stealing the stored design is almost impossible. Asides from this, it simplifies the design and improves the security.
What is the Xilinx CPLD Solution?
Comprehending the benefits and the features of making use of the Xilinx CPLD can help in enabling lesser development costs, easy design, as well as quick time of the product to the market.
It features a core voltage of 1.8, Macrocells of 32-512, and I/Os of 21-270. Furthermore, other features include I/O Tolerance of 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.8V, and 1.5V. In addition, the TPD value is 3.8/323, while the Ultra Low Power for Standby is 28.8µW. Lastly, the I/O standards include SSTL, HSTL, LVCMOS, and LVTTL.
How to Design with Xilinx CPLDs
Having a good understanding of the benefits and features of making use of CPLDs can go a long way in enabling the design ease, lower costs of development, and quick products to the market.
Choosing a CPLD
When choosing a CPLD, which is appropriate for your design, there’s a need to make some determinations. Each’s priority varies with respect to the design.
The Xilinx CPLDs are available in different speed grades. Therefore, you may need to pay for just that performance you desire. Make use of the ISE WebPACK in determining the exact speed grade you desire for the requirements of the system timing.
I/O and Density
You’ll be able to locate the Xilinx CPLD’s size needed (I/O and logic density) for the design when you submit the design to the ISE WebPACK software that is free downloadable.
The Xilinx CPLS are available in different packages. These include QFP packages that are inexpensive to the chip-scale pages (ultra-small) to the BGA packages with high I/O count.
Power and Voltage
The different families of the Xilinx CPLD feature different voltage (I/O and supply) and power (dynamic and standby) requirements.
Selecting the Software Package
In order to implement the basic or major CPLD design, there is a need to get an important but free software tool. This is the Xilinx ISE WebPACK. Xilinx provides different software packages so as to meet different requirements for the design.
The Implementation of a Design
When you are done choosing the CPLD device as well as downloading the important software, the next step is to implement the design. This stage of implementation includes the following: documentation, programming as well as testing of the prototype, and the design entry.
Purchasing of the CPLDs
There are different ways by which you can buy the Xilinx solutions. You can get them from the Xilinx international or North American distributors.
Each of these outlets provides programming hardware, software, silicon, and more. Furthermore, the sales offices for Xilinx as well as the center for customer support ensure users enjoy a satisfying and simple experience when using the Xilinx CPLDs.
How to Start Designing Using CPLDs
Before you begin with the CPLD design, there are two important steps you need to take.
The first step is downloading the Xilinx ISE WebPACK software tool as we have explained earlier. This is a free tool that ensures the entire process is easy.
Second step is to take your time to read and understand this software tutorial.
Here comes the end of our article on the Xilinx CPLD. We hope you understand the article. If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out to us.