APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020 PROGRAM WILL OPEN IN THE SPRING
SpHERES (Sparking High Schoolers’ Excitement for Research in Engineering and Science) is a dynamic research program for high school students in Champaign-Urbana.
Rising high school juniors and seniors (current 10th-11th grade) are invited to apply for participation in an authentic STEM research experience at a world-class research university for 6 weeks during the summer. Those accepted into the program will participate in cutting edge research activities in the laboratories of established researchers in engineering, science, and medicine. You will gain hands-on experience in areas at the forefront of various STEM fields, such as cancer immunology, pharmacogenomics of anticancer agents, physics, biophysics, bioengineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, aerospace, and more!
Additionally, students will participate in weekly seminars on various topics including research projects, college readiness, and scientific communication. The ultimate goal of this program is to make students feel comfortable in a university setting, form a science identity, and build confidence.
In order to ensure the young researcher’s success, the program consists of multiple layers of mentorship. High school researchers will have a chance to interact with faculty, post doctoral researchers, graduate students, undergraduate students and local high school teachers as they journey through their STEM research adventure at the U of I. At the end of their 6-week adventure, the researchers will have the opportunity to present a poster and discuss the science research they learned. Participating students don’t have to worry about missing out on work during those six weeks because the program also provides a monetary award to those accepted.
As a SpHERES participant, you will:
- Participate in an authentic research experience at a world-class research university, under the mentorship of a faculty member.
- Participate in weekly seminars on various topics including research projects, college-readiness, and scientific communication.
- Become acclimated to a university setting, form a science identity by conducting basic and applied research in Illinois’ Bioengineering labs, and gain confidence in attending college.
- Receive multiple layers of mentorship, through faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students and SpHERES staff.
Program Information and Qualifications:
- More information on the 2020 SpHERES program will be coming soon.