EBICS is committed to diversity in all aspects of the Center activities, including its own multidisciplinary group of faculty, staff, and students. As EBICS moves toward developing the next generation of researchers and leaders in this new scientific discipline, it places high emphasis on increasing the recruitment, participation and retention of underrepresented minority groups in all Center activities. We will implement programs that specifically target these groups at the K-12, undergraduate, community college and collegiate levels.
Diversity Program goals include:
- Establishing a summer research experience for undergraduate students that will expose them to advanced degree options and careers in the STEM fields.
- Developing ongoing outreach programs to local students in K-12 that engage younger students in the STEM fields, provide access to on campus activities, and demystify the college application process.
- Networking with on campus and other local resources to broaden the impact of our outreach efforts on the local community.
- Encouraging all EBICS members to be actively engaged in outreach activities on a regular basis.
- Attending national research conferences where students from underrepresented groups will be present to network with students and faculty advisors, promote Center activities, and recruit students to EBICS institutions.