EBICS outreach programs to the K-12 community introduce students to careers in the STEM fields at an early age. By providing such early exposure, more students will be likely to consider such a field for academic study and eventually as a profession.
Each EBICS partner institution engages with ongoing efforts on their campus as well as create innovative outreach programs to the K12 community.
Some sample programs include:
- Hosting an annual Open House with hands on science experiments, engineering competitions and campus tours.
- Providing lab tours with high school students and exposure to current undergraduate and graduate students.
- Encouraging EBICS graduate students and post-docs to act as judges in local high school science and math competitions.
- Hosting week-long summer camps for middle school and elementary school aged children on campus.
- Providing teacher education during the summer months so that the newest scientific data and technology can be shared with students during the academic year.